March 28, 2000 in the 100th Anniversary of the rebirth of Springfield Lodge No. 61. Although Springfield was originally chartered on December 13, 1887 as Lodge #61, the Lodge lost its first charter when it was suspended in 1893. The facts surrounding the reasons for the suspension are unknown, but it is believed that a great many of its members went West as the country expanded and later many went off to fight in the Spanish-American War. For the next several years there was no Elks Lodge in Springfield. But in March 1900, with 32 members, the Springfield Elks was reborn as it was officially brought back into the fold by the Grand Lodge, this time as Lodge No. 561. On July 17, 1907 the Grand Board of Trustees of the B.P.O.E. voted to restore the cherished Number Sixty-One to Springfield.
The Springfield Lodge of Elks is proud to serve the Greater Springfield area.
Springfield Lodge of Elks #61, 440 Tiffany Street, Springfield, MA 01108 • Phone: 413-734-2213